Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Crunchy on the outside, tender and sweet on the inside, these battered and baked onion rings have a fraction of the calories of their deep-fried cousins.
1. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together flour and 1/2 tsp. salt in bowl. Whisk in tonic water, adding more, if necessary, to make pancake-like batter.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, oil, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in shallow bowl.
3. Separate onions into rings. Dip each onion ring into batter, shaking off excess, then dip into breadcrumbs, coating completely. Place on prepared baking sheet, then place baking sheet in freezer 20 minutes to set batter on rings.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake onion rings 7 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to brown on bottoms. Flip, and bake 7 to 10 minutes more, or until golden. Season with salt, if desired.
- Calories 321
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 650 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g