The vegetable stew also makes a great topping over baked sweet potatoes.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 19-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce potatoes with tines of fork and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Add tomatoes, broth and beans. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
Add yellow squash and zucchini. Cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, split baked potatoes and mash their pulp slightly. Spoon vegetable stew into center.
- Calories: 392
- Carbohydrate Content: 80 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 225 mg