In this dish, tofu is extravagantly smothered with a stew of summer vegetables and herbs. Serve with grilled polenta, rice or spinach pasta. For best results, be sure to use firm tofu.
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium bell peppers, 1 each red, yellow and green, thinly sliced
- 3 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh marjoram or basil
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 20 nicoise olives, halved and pitted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. soy sauce or tamari
Preheat oven to 375°F. Drain tofu very well and cut into triangles or slabs about 11/2 inches wide. Place in ungreased pie plate and bake until slightly firm and liquid is released, about 20 minutes. Pour off any liquid. Set tofu aside; maintain oven temperature at 375°F.
In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, 1 clove garlic, parsley, marjoram and thyme and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in wine, olives, salt and pepper and cook, until vegetables are tender and coated with syrupy sauce, about 8 minutes.
Coat 8 x 8-inch square or 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Add vegetable mixture, then gently arrange tofu pieces in mixture.
Make sauce: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, tomato paste, mustard, garlic, pepper and soy sauce or tamari. Pour sauce over vegetables and tofu. Cover and bake until heated through, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Calories: 335
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 850 mg