Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Plain ol’ peanut butter can be turned into a savory African-inspired sauce with the addition of canned tomatoes, hot sauce, and frozen veggies. If you’re not an okra fan, substitute frozen cut green beans. Serve over brown rice.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and place tofu slices on bottom.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion in oil 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chile-garlic sauce, and thyme, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until tomato paste begins to darken. Stir in peanut butter, okra, and 1 cup water, and bring to a simmer.
3. Pour peanut sauce over sliced tofu, cover with foil, and bake 5 to 7 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 5 minutes more, or until heated through.
- Calories 269
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 182 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g