Everyone can enjoy this reliable bake-and-take casserole. It comes together quickly and can be made ahead and reheated. Use panko breadcrumbs, tossed with Italian seasoning, in place of the Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, if desired.
- 8 oz. ziti, rigatoni, or penne pasta
- 1/2 lb. zucchini, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, or
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, juices included
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives, divided
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook ziti according to package directions for al dente in large pot of boiling salted water. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Return ziti to pot, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, combine zucchini, chickpeas, tomatoes and juices, tomato purée, 2 Tbs. olives, oil, tomato paste, and garlic in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Stir zucchini mixture into ziti, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Transfer ziti mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining 2 Tbs. olives. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until pasta is heated through and breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Calories: 299
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 742 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g