Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Keep some of this sweet-and-sour sauce in a microwavable bottle in the fridge so you can warm it and drizzle over vegetarian sausages, baked sweet potatoes, quinoa, or couscous.
1. Place cherries in saucepan with 1 cup hot water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, rosemary, and allspice; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in port, orange juice, broth, and vinegar. Drain cherries, and add soaking liquid to saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 12 minutes.
3. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbs. cold water in bowl. Add to port mixture, and cook 1 minute, or until sauce thickens. Stir in cherries, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 226
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 33 mg
- Sugar Content 32 g