Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Liquid smoke gives beans rich, hearty flavor without the pork. Start the beans in the slow cooker before you go to bed and you’ll have perfect baked beans in the morning, ready to take on a picnic outing. For a faster version that eliminates the need to soak and precook the beans, use three 15-oz. cans of navy beans.
1. Cover beans with 3 inches cold water in large bowl, and soak 6 hours, or overnight.
2. Drain beans, and transfer to large saucepan. Cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
3. Transfer beans to slow cooker, and stir in onion. Whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, maple syrup, mustard, oil, and liquid smoke in bowl. Stir into bean mixture. Cover, and cook 6 hours on low power. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. These beans can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Calories 187
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 440 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g