30 minutes or fewer
A fruity ale adds a special flavor note to this grain-based salad. Be sure to drain the barley very well before tossing it with the other ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups ale or beer
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 15-oz. can soybeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup diced dried pineapple
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into chunks
- 4 oz. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans for garnish
Combine ale and 1/2 cup water in saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add barley, and cook according to package directions. Drain well, rinse under cool water and drain again.
Meanwhile, put soybeans, carrots, pineapple and orange in large bowl. Toss with Gorgonzola cheese. Add barley, toss again. Garnish with pecans. Serve.
- Calories: 370
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g