- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas, lightly steamed, or 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 to 4 Tbs. minced fresh dill
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small head butter lettuce, pulled apart into leaves
- 4 oz. feta cheese, optional
In medium saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add barley, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender and water is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let barley cool to room temperature.
In large bowl, combine barley with remaining ingredients except lettuce and feta cheese; mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
To serve, line each individual serving plates with a few lettuce leaves, then spoon salad into center. Sprinkle with feta cheese if desired.
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 13 mg