Normally of soup fame, barley is an ancient grain that’s nutritious, versatile and light enough for the dog days of summer.
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups cooked fresh corn (from 3 large or 6 small ears)
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas, lightly steamed, or 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), sliced
- 3 to 4 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
In medium saucepan, bring 2 1⁄2 cups of water to a boil. Add barley, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender and water is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let barley cool to room temperature.
In large bowl, combine barley with remaining ingredients except feta cheese; mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled, with feta on the side for garnish if desired.
- Calories: 176
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 26 mg