- 1⁄2 cup pearled barley
- 2 tbs. plus 2 Tsp. olive oil, divided, plus more to taste
- 5 large carrots, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin, plus more for sprinkling
- 1⁄4 cup raw pistachios
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 4 green onions, chopped (1⁄2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped, fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 4 cups baby greens or arugula, optional
1 Bring barley and 4 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 20 minutes, or until barley is al dente. Rinse under cold water, drain, and set aside.
2 Heat 2 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and cumin, and stir to coat. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until carrots are deep brown but still firm. Add pistachios, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to large bowl, and stir in barley, chickpeas, green onions, mint, lemon juice, and remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight.
3 Taste and adjust seasonings by adding more lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper before serving. Serve on a bed of baby greens or arugula, dusted with cumin.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 321
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 50 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g