Nutty-tasting barley and sweet, mild celery root make a homey soup with old-fashioned flavor. To speed up cooking time, replace the pearl barley with quick-cooking barley, add it with the carrots and celery root and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes total.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 medium-sized leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 2 cubes low-sodium vegetable bouillon
- 3 medium-sized carrots, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring often. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in barley. Add 7 cups water and bouillon cubes. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, skim off any froth, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add carrots and celery root. Cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes more, or until barley and vegetables are tender. Just before serving, stir in dill, lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
- Calories: 79
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 276 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g