Pearled barley has the hull and bran removed to make it cook more quickly—but it still retains some whole grain goodness.
- 2 1/4 cups "chicken" broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 10-oz. pkg. cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 large white onion, cut into thin strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 15.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 small orange bell peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated soy Parmesan or Romano cheese
Bring broth to a boil in large pot. Add barley, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes, or until broth is absorbed and barley is tender. Transfer to mixing bowl.
Heat 1 Tbs. oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes, or until browned; add to barley. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pot, and sauté cauliflower and onion 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in peppers; cover, and simmer 5 minutes more, or until tender.
Stir in barley-mushroom mixture, chopped basil and soy cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute more, or until heated through. Serve garnished with basil sprigs.
- Calories: 219
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 544 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g