You can add a splash of color by garnishing the dish with minced parsley, if desired. Finish the meal with a fruit yogurt.
- 1 cup raw quick-cooking barley
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 3 medium-sized leeks (3/4 lb.), rinsed and trimmed, white parts only
- 2 zucchini, rinsed, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 oz. crumbled feta
Cook barley according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté garlic, leeks and zucchini about 8 minutes, or until leeks wilt and zucchini softens and turns golden.
When barley is cooked, spoon into skillet, and sauté with leeks and zucchini, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, spoon onto individual plates and garnish with crumbled feta. Serve while hot. Alternatively, set this aside, and serve at room temperature.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 220 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g