This is very tasty as is, or add other vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, parsnips or fennel, to enhance your winter-warming soup.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 leek, greens included, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard
In large pot or stockpot, add 7 cups water and all ingredients. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until flavor develops, about 45 minutes. Strain, pushing vegetables against strainer to extract as much liquid as possible. Cool. Store in glass jars, and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.