Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Many freezer-friendly pesto recipes instruct you to add the cheese after thawing, but we found no noticeable flavor loss when folding it in before freezing. Once thawed, toss pesto with pasta or grains, spread on sandwiches, and use to season casseroles with summery basil flavor year-round.
1. Pulse walnuts, basil, and garlic in food processor or blender until nuts are finely crumbled and green.
2. With food processor motor running, add oil in steady stream, and pulse until combined. Add cheese and lemon juice, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Ladle pesto into 1/2 cup silicone ice cube molds. Press plastic wrap over surface of molds to seal out air. Freeze 4 hours, or overnight, then transfer to freezer bag for long-term storage.
4. To defrost: place pesto cube in bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap to seal out air, and let melt at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 2 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 52 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g