Mary Bilyeu accidentally came up with the recipe one night while throwing together ingredients she had on hand. As a busy single mom, Mary finds ways to fix her son fast, delicious meals without having to turn to preservative- and trans fat–laden foods from drive-throughs and delivery.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1/2 medium ripe papaya, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup nonalcoholic "beer"
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 whole-wheat tortillas
Heat olive oil and red pepper flakes in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and papaya, and cook 7 minutes, or until papaya and vegetables are soft, stirring frequently.
Stir in salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and Old Bay Seasoning. Cook over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add beer. Cook 5 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and fold in cilantro.
Heat tortillas in a dry skillet, 15 to 20 seconds per side. Divide filling among warmed tortillas, fold, and serve hot.
- Calories: 237
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 521 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g