Oats and beer add hearty flavor and texture that complement the sweet intensity of caramel apples. These waffles aren't sweet, so you can pair them with savory toppings such as melted cheese or roasted vegetables.
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice or sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges (11/4 lb.)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup instant oats
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened soymilk
- 1 Tbs. ground flaxseeds
- 3/4 cup lager beer
- 11/2 Tbs. soy margarine, melted
1. To make Cinnamon-Caramel Apples: Sprinkle sugar over large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until sugar dissolves into amber-colored caramel syrup, tilting pan to distribute sugar evenly but not stirring. Meanwhile, warm coconut milk in small skillet over medium-low heat. Remove caramelized sugar from heat, and stir in warmed coconut milk. Return to heat, and stir in apples and cinnamon. Cook 3 minutes, or until apples begin to soften and sauce begins to thicken. Stir in lemon juice. Keep warm.
2. To make Waffles: Preheat Belgian waffle iron to high heat. Whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
3. Blend soymilk, ground flaxseeds, and ı/4 cup water in blender 1 minute, or until thick and creamy. Whisk milk mixture, beer, and margarine into flour mixture.
4. Coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon batter onto each square of waffle iron. Close lid, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until waffle is crisp and dark golden. Repeat with remaining batter. Spoon ¼ cup Cinnamon-Caramel Apples over each serving.
- Calories: 198
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 261 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g