Beets give this stir-fry a wonderful color and flavor.
- 2 baby red or golden beets, trimmed
- 2 Tbs. peanut oil
- 1 cup packed sliced shallots
- 6 oz. cremini mushrooms, stemmed
- 1/2 lb. sugar snap peas, stringed
- 2 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 1/2 cup fresh shelled peas or 1/2 cup frozen
- 4 scallions (white and light green parts), sliced on diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
Bring medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add beets and cook, until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut each in half.
In large wok or large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and stir-fry 2 minutes. Mix in mustard seeds, thyme and sugar. Add, fennel and peas and stir-fry 4 minutes. Add scallions, parsley, vinegar and beets; toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Calories: 225
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 131 mg