Dont throw those leafy beet tops away! Beet greens make buying fresh beets a two-in-one bargain because the leaves look, taste, and can be prepared like Swiss chard. Other greens to try in this recipe: Swiss chard, spinach, or flat-leafed kale.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 2 large beets, peeled and grated (4 cups)
- 2 large shallots, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups beet greens, tough stems trimmed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed
- 2 tangerines, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
1. To make Horseradish-Tangerine Dressing: Whisk together olive oil, tangerine juice, cider vinegar, and horseradish in small bowl.
2. To make Beet Green Salad: Toss beets, shallots, and dried cranberries with 1/3 cup
Horseradish-Tangerine Dressing in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Toss beet greens and watercress with remaining dressing in large bowl, and divide among serving plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup grated beet mixture, and garnish with tangerine slices. Sprinkle with pecans and feta cheese, if desired.
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 146 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g