Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These miniature desserts get a touch of flavorful bling from crystallized ginger sprinkled over the creamy frosting.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 12-cup mini-muffin pans with cooking spray.
2. To make Cupcakes: Combine sugar, molasses, and margarine in saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until margarine is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes.
3. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in bowl. Whisk in molasses mixture.
4. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture.
5. Fill muffin cups to within 1/8 inch of rims. Bake 12 minutes, or until Cupcakes are puffed and set. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack.
6. To make Topping: whip cream cheese, honey, and orange zest with fork in bowl until smooth. Dollop 1 tsp. Topping mixture onto Cupcakes, and sprinkle with crystallized ginger, if using.
- Calories 94
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 110 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g