Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The garnishes for this hearty Mexican stew make for a fun meal that lets everyone at the table customize their serving according to taste.
STORE/SERVE: Ladle cooled posole into two 2-quart containers, and refrigerate three days or freeze up to three months. Thaw, if necessary, then warm in saucepan over medium heat until just beginning to simmer. Serve with garnishes.
1. To make Posole: Place pasilla chiles in large bowl, and cover with 3 cups boiling water. Let soak 15 minutes, or until softened. Drain chiles, and reserve liquid. Pull open chiles, and gently scrape out and discard seeds. Purée chiles in food processor with 1/4 cup reserved soaking liquid. (Press purée through sieve if bits of skin remain, and discard solids.) Stir chile purée into remaining soaking liquid.
2. Halve leek chunks, and thinly slice into matchsticks.
3. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add leeks, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, cumin, and oregano, and sauté 1 minute. Add hominy, black beans, tomatoes with juice, chile liquid, and 6 cups water; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Place Garnishes (if using) in bowls; pass around table when ready to serve.
- Calories 176
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 588 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g