This festive Mexican dish can be customized to suit a kid’s preferences. Use a mild salsa for younger palates, or experiment with a different cheese, such as mozzarella. If your kids aren’t arugula fans yet, substitute a milder green, like spinach.
1. Blend beans in food processor 1 minute, until mostly smooth. Add salsa, garlic and oregano, and blend 1 minute.
2. Heat 1 tsp. oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add bean mixture and broth, and whisk until combined. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Combine arugula, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, lime juice and remaining 1 Tbs. oil in medium bowl.
4. Fold chips into simmering black bean mixture. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until chips are soft and slightly chewy.
5. Transfer to 2-quart casserole or deep serving dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and let stand 5 minutes. Top with arugula salad and avocado, if desired, and serve.
- Calories 355
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 12.5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 632 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g