Black Bean Chili with Winter Squash
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 medium or 2 small winter squashes (acorn or butternut)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (16-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4-oz. can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Cut each squash in half, scoop out seeds, and place in a microwave-safe container with 1/4 inch of water. Cover and microwave until tender, allowing 2 to 3 minutes per squash half. Remove squash and let cool, then peel and cut into chunks.
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except squash and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently 15 minutes. Stir in squash and season to taste with salt. Serve warm.
- Calories 168
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 8 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g