Put away the dinner plates and pull out the bowls for this speedy, satisfying supper. Feel free to improvise with other gluten-free grains (such as millet or amaranth) as the base, use zucchini or yellow squash strips in place of the green beans, and switch out the black beans for chickpeas or black-eyed peas.
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 large shallots, diced (1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add 1 tsp. oil, and season with salt, if desired. Stir in quinoa. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Transfer quinoa to large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, toss green beans with walnuts and 1 tsp. oil, and spread on large rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and roast 5 minutes, or until beans are crisp-tender and walnuts are toasted.
4. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in black beans and sherry vinegar. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Stir black bean mixture, parsley, and lemon zest into quinoa. Divide among bowls, and top with green beans and walnuts.
- Calories: 398
- Carbohydrate Content: 57 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 257 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g