Black Bean & Toasted Corn Tacos
Surprise! These brown-bag-friendly tacos are just as good chilled as they are served hot.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 12 baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper strips
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, optional
1. Bring beans, salsa, garlic, and 1 tsp. cumin to a simmer in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until soft. Remove from heat, and mash with fork to crush beans for creamier filling, if desired.
2. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with olive oil cooking spray. Wrap corn in paper towels, and squeeze out excess water. Add corn to skillet in single layer, and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy, stirring frequently.
3. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350°F. Toast tortillas in toaster oven 1 minute to soften. Alternately, bake tortillas on taco baking rack in oven 7 to 10 minutes, or until crisp. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup corn, 3 spinach leaves, red pepper strips, cilantro, and green onions. Top each taco with 1 Tbs. cheese, if using. Serve immediately, or pack into lunch container, and chill.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 362
- Carbohydrate Content 74 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 904 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g