Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 2 8-inch cake pans, or grease and line pans with circles of parchment.
2. To make Cake: Cook apricots in 2 cups water, about 12 minutes, until very soft. Measure out 1 cup apricots and liquid, and set aside. Put remaining apricots and liquid in blender, and purée. Add peas, and purée.
3. Put oil, brown sugar and eggs in mixing bowl; beat on high 3 minutes. Mixture will look creamy. Whisk flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder in separate bowl.
4. Pour egg mixture over purée, and fold together. Gently fold in flour mixture. Fold in raisins and pecans, if using. Pour into prepared cake pans.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.
6. To make Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until creamy. Beat in remaining ingredients. Frosting should be soft; it will firm upon sitting.
7. Place one cake layer on plate, and spread reserved apricots evenly over it. Top with second layer. Spread frosting evenly over top and sides of cake.
8. To decorate, cut apricots into slices. Place chocolate drop on cake, and arrange 8 apricot “petals” around it (skin side up). Repeat until cake is covered.
- Calories 290
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 200 mg
- Sugar Content 35 g