Enjoy this hearty soup hot or cold, for lunch or for dinner.
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced (3 cups)
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 3 medium beets, roots peeled and grated, greens sliced into thin ribbons (4 cups)
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup black beluga lentils, rinsed and soaked 8 hours, or overnight
- 1 1/2 Tbs. caraway seeds
- 1 ripe avocado, for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 5 tsp. cold-pressed olive oil, for garnish
1. Heat coconut oil in a large stockpot. Add onions, bay leaves, and salt; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add grated beets, cabbage, pepper, lentils, and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Add caraway seeds and beet greens, and let greens wilt 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Serve soup hot or cold, garnished with avocado slices, a squeeze of lemon, and a 1-tsp. drizzle of olive oil.
- Calories: 255
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 743 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g