Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Blending waxy or boiling potatoes with an immersion blender gives them a stretchy, stringy texture that mimics cheese and adheres to fondue dippers. Recipe by Aurelia d’Andrea.
1. Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water 5 to 8 minutes, or until soft. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add garlic, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, dissolve cornstarch in 2 cups cold water in small cup. Add cornstarch mixture to onion mixture, increase heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add nutritional yeast and salt, and simmer 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat, and add potatoes and 1/2 cup wine. Blend with immersion blender until smooth and silky. Return to heat, and simmer gently 5 minutes.
5. Add remaining 1/2 cup wine, and cook 1 minute, stirring once or twice, or until Fondue is thickened. Transfer to fondue pot, sprinkle with nutmeg, and serve with Dippers.
- Calories 128
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 516 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g