This dairy-free smoothie is loaded with healthy goodness. Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, B vitamins, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, and potassium, and blueberries are high in antioxidants.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The night before you start a cleanse, prepare two beets: Wrap each beet in foil, and roast in a 400°F oven 1 hour, or until tender. Remove from oven. As soon as beets are cool enough to handle, remove foil, slip off and discard skin, and slice beets in half. Stash beets in the refrigerator for smoothies throughout the cleanse (you’ll have enough beets for three breakfasts and one snack smoothie).
- 1/2 medium roasted beet (4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup nut, oat, rice, or hemp milk, or water
- 1/4 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
- Raw honey to taste, optional
- 2 ice cubes
- Cut 1/2 beet into large chunks.
- Transfer beet chunks to blender, and add all remaining ingredients; blend on high until smooth.
- Calories 134
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 95 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g