Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This juicy fruit pie is loaded with antioxidant-rich blueberries and mangoes. The almond-flour crust is flaky, tender, and free from gluten and dairy. Make sure the shortening is very cold for the best results; spoon teaspoons onto a sheet of parchment and freeze briefly until it’s firm. We used fresh fruit, but frozen blueberries and mangoes are a great substitution. Serve it with the ice cream of your choice, or beat coconut cream for an easy whipped topping.
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, and salt in food processor, and pulse to mix. With food processor running on low, add shortening a few teaspoons at a time until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add a few tablespoons ice water, pulsing between each addition, until mixture forms a firm but pliable dough.
- Transfer dough to a parchment-lined surface and gather it into a ball, kneading once or twice. Divide ball into two separate balls; flatten each into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease pie pan. In medium bowl, combine blueberries, mango, lemon juice, sugar, and chia seeds. Toss gently to mix.
- Roll first ball of dough into 12-inch circle on sheet of parchment. Transfer to pie pan, and carefully trim excess, leaving about 1/2 inch hanging over edges. Roll out other ball of dough and cut into 8 even strips.
- Transfer fruit mixture to pie pan. Carefully lay strips over top of filling, weaving them together to make a lattice. (Alternatively, lay four strips horizontally and then lay four strips vertically, without weaving strips.) Trim overhang, leaving about 1/2 inch hanging over edges. Roll overhang toward the pie, sealing firmly.
- Bake pie 20 minutes, then lower heat to 350°F, and continue baking 25–30 minutes more, until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and cool 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 27 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 250 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g