Packed with antioxidants (sesame seed paste, tomatoes, spinach, avocado), B vitamins (whole wheat pitas, spinach) and protein (yogurt, tofu), these pitas will give your brain a midday boost.
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 large whole wheat pita breads
- 8 oz. soft tofu, well-drained and cubed
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sprouts (alfalfa, sunflower or mung bean )
- 1 large ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into thin wedges
Sauce: In a small bowl, mix all sauce ingredients until blended.
Slice an edge from each pita bread and carefully open pockets. In medium bowl, combine tofu, tomatoes and lettuce. Add 1/4 cup of sauce and toss gently to mix. Spoon the mixture into each pocket. Divide sprouts and avocado among the sandwiches. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon of tahini sauce. Serve right away.
- Calories: 385
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 390 mg