Cavolo nero, dinosaur, Tuscan, and lacinato are all names given to a long, leafy, crinkly kale variety. Serve this light vegetable stew over grilled bread or tossed with pasta.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1 1/3 cups)
- 3 small carrots, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 bunches cavolo nero kale, tough ribs removed, and leaves coarsely chopped (9 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onion 7 to 9 minutes, or until golden. Add carrots, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Add kale and 1/2 cup water, cover, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until kale has wilted. Stir in red pepper flakes and garlic, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Add 1 1/4 cups water, and bring to a simmer.
2. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 40 minutes, or until kale is tender, adding more water if necessary.
3. Uncover pot, increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 204
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 100 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g