Fennel and carrots are seared and then simmered in a spicy tomato-based broth for a vegetable dish that can be served as a side or spooned over grains for a light meal.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 4 small heads fennel, trimmed and quartered, or 2 large heads fennel, trimmed and cut into eighths, fronds reserved for Gremolata
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into long sticks
- 3 small onions, each cut into 8 wedges (8 oz.)
- 1 15-oz. can whole tomatoes, drained, tomatoes cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, optional
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves and tender stems, chopped
- 1/4–1/2 cup fresh fennel fronds, chopped
- 2 Tbs. grated or thinly sliced lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1. To make Vegetables: Heat 1 Tbs. oil in 5- to 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add fennel, and cook 5 minutes, turning once or twice, or until well-browned on all sides. Transfer to bowl, and set aside.
2. Add 1 Tbs. oil to Dutch oven, then add carrots. Cook 5 minutes, turning once or twice, or until carrots begin to turn deep brown. Transfer to bowl with fennel.
3. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to Dutch oven, then add onions. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning once or twice, or until onions begin to turn deep brown. Add 2 1/2 cups water, and use spatula to scrape any stuck-on bits from bottom of Dutch oven. Stir in tomatoes (reserve liquid for another use), chickpeas, raisins, cumin, coriander, and ginger. Return fennel and carrots to pot, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until Vegetables are tender.
4. Meanwhile, to make Gremolata: Stir together all ingredients in small bowl.
5. Sprinkle servings of Vegetables with 1 tsp. Gremolata; use remainder for garnish.
- Calories: 217
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 231 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g