Once known as string beans, green beans no longer have the characteristic stringy fibers. Sunflower seeds are a good source of magnesium, which may help reduce the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure, build bones and prevent migraine headaches.
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 16-oz. pkg. green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 6-oz. pkg. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
Heat the oil and crushed red pepper in a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the garlic, onion and bell pepper. Add the green beans, and cook the mixture for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the
mushrooms, and cook the mixture for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and reduce the heat to low.
Whisk the cornstarch and 11/2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl, and stir into the beans. Add the sunflower seeds and thyme, and cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Calories: 122
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g