This colorful main dish also can be made with turnip greens or Swiss chard. Serve it with warm crusty bread. Calcium per serving: 318 mg.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lb. kale, stemmed and torn into large pieces
- 1 cup diced uncooked red potatoes, with skins
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped or sliced portobello mushrooms
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Place potatoes in medium saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Meanwhile, in large, wide skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until shallots are soft and mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add kale to mushroom mixture and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add water and cooked potatoes. Cover and cook until kale is bright green, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Calories: 233
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 100 mg