Braised Mexican-Spiced Vegetables
For those who like their food picante, replace the chili powder with a canned minced chipotle chili in adobo sauce. To finish cooking this dish within half an hour, cook and prep simultaneously—cut up the ingredients as you go along. To save time, look for ready-cut packaged winter squash at…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For those who like their food picante, replace the chili powder with a canned minced chipotle chili in adobo sauce. To finish cooking this dish within half an hour, cook and prep simultaneously—cut up the ingredients as you go along. To save time, look for ready-cut packaged winter squash at the supermarket.
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. chili powder, preferably Mexican
- 3 cups peeled, cubed winter squash (3/4-inch pieces)
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 5 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 10 large tomatillos (8 oz.), husked, rinsed and quartered
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1. In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add scallions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add tomatillos, garlic, oregano, coriander and chili powder and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes.
2. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add squash and salt and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and continue simmering, partially covered, until squash is almost tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in corn and simmer, partially covered, until all vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and a little more salt if necessary. Serve hot, garnished with cilantro if desired.
- Calories 185
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 289 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g