Adding an apple to the cabbage near the end of cooking gives this traditional German dish a delightful taste and texture contrast.
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, halved, cored and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup port or apple juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
Combine onion, cabbage, fennel seeds, port, vinegar and salt in large saucepan. Cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, or until vegetables are partially sofened.
Reduce heat to low, and stir in apple slices. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes more, or until cabbage is tender. Serve hot.
- Calories: 45
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g