Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Custardy bread pudding with a bourbon-laced sauce is a New Orleans dessert favorite. Day-old bread works best here because it absorbs more of the custard before baking.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large bowl. Fold in cubed bread, raisins, and dried cranberries, and let stand 5 minutes to allow bread to absorb custard.
2. Coat 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray, then spread bread mixture in pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until you can press on center of pudding and no raw egg mixture rises up. Cool slightly, then cut into 8 squares.
3. To make Whiskey Sauce: Combine sugar and ½ cup water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon. Return to heat, and boil 2 minutes more. Transfer to pitcher, and let cool slightly. Serve warm Whiskey Sauce over Bread Pudding.
- Calories 369
- Carbohydrate Content 75 g
- Cholesterol Content 80 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 198 mg
- Sugar Content 59 g