Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
For a vegan twist on holiday tradition, allow us to present this bread stuffing with tempeh and dried fruit. The tempeh ‘bacon’ adds a smoky, savory quality; dried cranberries, cherries, and apples keep things sweet. Your bread needs to be a bit dried-out for this to work best, but if you don’t plan ahead to let some go a bit stale on the counter hope is not lost. Just cube your bread and place it on a sheet tray and toast in your oven at 275 F for around 45 minutes.
Bread Stuffing with Tempeh Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and coat large baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat margarine in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, tempeh bacon, and rosemary; cook 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apple, cranberries, cherries, cinnamon, broth, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in bread cubes, and cook 5 minutes more. Remove pan from heat, and transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot and browned on top.
- Calories 211
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 512 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g