If you are serving more than four, the first part of the recipe doubles easily, and the quantity of sauce given below will suffice.
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs. pickle relish or to taste
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard or to taste
- 1 Tbs. natural soy mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp. salt-free herb-and-spice seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat soy yogurt
Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between several layers of paper towel, then cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
In shallow bowl, mix wheat germ, seasoning mix and salt. Add tofu sticks and coat with mixture. Arrange breaded tofu on a lightly oiled nonstick baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the cutlets are golden and firm.
Meanwhile, make tartar sauce. In small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
Serve cutlets warm with sauce as a topping or on the side.
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 17 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 501 mg