Classic omelet ingredients—eggs, cheese and herbs—get a stylish makeover when baked in a “nest” of whole-wheat bread.
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread, crusts removed
- 4 medium cremini mushrooms, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 green onion (white and green parts), thinly sliced (about 2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus extra leaves for garnish
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp. smoked or regular paprika
Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325F. Coat 6 6-oz. ramekins with cooking spray, and place on sheet pan. Flatten each bread slice with rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness. Line prepared ramekins with bread slices, pressing against bottom and sides, and overlapping where necessary (bread may extend over top).
Combine mushrooms, green onion and tarragon in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and divide among remekins. Break 1 egg carefully into each ramekin. Top with cheese and paprika; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pan after 10 minutes, or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are still creamy. Bake slightly longer for hard-cooked yolks. Cool on rack 2 minutes, then unmold, and transfer to serving plates. Garnish with tarragon leaves, if desired.
- Calories: 164
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 218 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 428 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g