This creamy soup gets its extra richness and bright color from edamame.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 lb. broccoli, trimmed, stems and florets chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices from skinny whole-grain baguette
- 4 oz. aged goat cheese, shaved
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sauté 10 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, scraping bottom of pot to lift off any brown bits. Add remaining 51/2 cups broth, edamame, broccoli, and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange baguette slices on baking sheet, and bake 6 minutes, or until crunchy on both sides. Remove from oven, and arrange cheese over toasts. Return to oven, and bake 6 minutes more, or until cheese has softened.
3. Working in batches, transfer soup to blender, and blend until creamy and smooth. Return soup to pot, and warm over low heat. Ladle soup into 8 shallow soup bowls; float 1 cheese crouton in center of each bowl.
- Calories: 195
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 174 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g