Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Ground almonds and eggs hold these veggie-laced alternatives to traditional meatballs together. For appetizer-size meatballs, shape into 30 smaller rounds instead of 12, and bake 15 to 20 minutes.
1. To make Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Steam broccoli florets 10 minutes, or until tender and bright green. Cool.
3. Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
4. Pulse steamed broccoli in food processor until chopped. Transfer to bowl with ground almonds. Add Parmesan, basil, parsley, garlic, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Whisk eggs in small bowl, then stir eggs into broccoli mixture.
6. Shape mixture into 12 Meatballs by hand, pressing firmly to ensure Meatballs hold their shape. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. To make Garlic-Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and their juice, and cook 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 350
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 97 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g