30 minutes or fewer
Adding the Parmesan rind during cooking is an Italian seasoning trick. Serve with crusty whole wheat bread.
- 6 green onions, cut in half
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch-long pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups frozen cut Italian green beans
- 3/4 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 6-oz. wedge Parmesan cheese, grated, rind reserved
Coarsely chop green onions, celery and garlic in food processor. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion mixture and pinch of salt. Sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, and bring to a boil.
Add broccoli, green beans, macaroni, half of parsley and Parmesan rind. Cook 10 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
Remove Parmesan rind. Purée soup in small batches in food processor, and return to pot. Stir in pepper to taste.
Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley and a little grated Parmesan.
- Calories: 154
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 481 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g