These savory vegetables are a terrific way to dress up a plain burger. If you prefer, you can cook them on the grill.
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or as needed
- 10 thick slices tomato (2 to 3 tomatoes)
- 2 tsp. salt, or as needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 medium portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 10 thick slices red or Spanish onion
Preheat broiler. Brush oil over both sides of mushrooms and onion slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place mushrooms, stemmed end down, on broiler rack and cook 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Place tomato slices on top of mushrooms; broil 1 minute. Broil onions until browned but still a bit crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Serve hot.
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 435 mg