This couldn’t-be-simpler sauce delivers big on taste, thanks to lightly toasting the tomato paste before adding the other saucy ingredients. Yellow onion lends sweetness to the broth, and parsley (or any fresh green herb) delivers a bright, fresh ending. Serve with 12 ounces of cooked pasta shells or macaroni.
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
Heat Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato paste and onion, and cook 1 minute, or until tomato paste is fragrant and slightly darkened, stirring constantly. Add cauliflower, broth, and 1 ½ cups water, stirring to scrape up tomato paste from bottom of pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 6 to 8 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Stir in parsley leaves, and serve over pasta.
- Serving Size: per 1 1/3-cup serving
- Calories: 70
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 146 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g