Karen and Quinn Hatfield created this recipe for Hatfield's vegetarian prix-fixe menu. "It's pretty easy to find gluten-free dishes on our menu because we highlight so many vegetarian dishes," says Quinn. "This dish appeals to everyone." Parsley root is one of his favorite ingredients, but you could substitute celery root.
- 1 cup sliced, blanched almonds
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) butter, divided
- 1 lb. parsley root or celery root, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into baseball-size floret clusters
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped chives
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spread almonds on baking sheet, and toast 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden-brown. Cool.
2. Place raisins in 2-qt. container. Add 1 cup boiling water, cover container with plastic wrap, and cool. Drain.
3. Heat 2 Tbs. butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add parsley root, and season with salt, if desired. Reduce heat to medium-low, and sautée 15 to 20 minutes, or until very tender. Transfer to blender, and blend with 1 1/2 cups hot water until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep warm.
4. Place large baking dish in oven, and preheat to 425ºF. When hot, remove dish, and add 4 Tbs. butter. Add cauliflower, and season with salt, if desired. Turn cauliflower to coat with butter. Bake 30 minutes, or until cauliflower is golden-brown.
5. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbs. butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot and starting to foam. Spread plantains in single layer in skillet, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir, and cook 5 minutes more, or until plantains are browned. Stir in almonds and chives.
6. To serve: Spoon 1 1/4 cups parsley root purée in center of each serving plate. Top with 2 pieces cauliflower. Spoon plantain mixture over top; sprinkle with raisins and parsley.
- Calories: 460
- Carbohydrate Content: 61 g
- Cholesterol Content: 41 mg
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 268 mg
- Sugar Content: 32 g