If you like, top each bruschetta with a thin shaving of pecorino Toscano, a mild cheese from Tuscany. For an even more authentic taste, toast the bread slices on the grill. Makes 12 bruschetta toasts and about 1 1/2 cups topping.
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices good-quality Italian bread
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- 2 11.5-oz. jars water-packed artichoke hearts, well drained
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 Tbs. olive tapenade
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
To make Bruschetta Toasts: Preheat broiler, and place oven rack about 6 inches from heat. Place bread on baking sheet, and broil 2 to 4 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Turn toast over, and repeat. When cool enough to handle, rub one side of each toast with cut garlic clove.
To make Topping: Squeeze artichokes to extract any liquid. Blot dry on paper towels.
Place artichokes, olive oil, tapenade, and brown sugar in food processor; chop finely.
Spread 1 heaping Tbs. on each bruschetta toast; drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
- Calories: 299
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 602 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g