Finished with a fragrant orange-and-ginger sauce and a handful of fresh spinach, this colorful ragoût makes a hearty supper when served over a bed of quinoa.
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbs. orange zest
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. minced crystallized ginger
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise (3 cups)
- 3/4 lb. carrots, cut into 2-inch by 1/2-inch sticks (2 cups)
- 4 oz. shallots, quartered (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
1. Combine orange juice and zest, vinegar, and ginger in small bowl, and
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, and season with kosher salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until sprouts are nicely browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to plate.
3. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan, and heat over medium heat. Stir in carrots and shallots, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until carrots are browned and shallots are limp, stirring occasionally.
4. Return Brussels sprouts to pan, add garlic, and stir 15 to 30 seconds.
5. Add spinach to pan, pour orange mixture over top, and stir. Cover pan,
and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Uncover pan, and cook 5 to 6 minutes more, or until liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons.
- Calories: 202
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 96 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g